Wednesday, October 15, 2008

playing with the big boys/girls

[EDIT]
Press credentials were revoked by the campaign about an hour or two after I posted this. They cut the press in half, essentially, for the university. Even University Relations got cut -- just goes to show how little the campaign respects the venue they're using for their stage. I'll still be reporting from the field, but I won't have any special bling or badges. C'est la vie.



I just got my clear for a media credential for the Sarah Palin rally that's taking place on campus tomorrow afternoon. As much as I cannot stand her political stance on basically everything. I'm super super excited about this.

This is the second time I will have been credentialed as an official member of the media during this campaign, and I have to say, it's pretty sweet. You get the best views of everything and you get to play with the big boys. For the Bill Clinton rally we took serious pride in the fact that we got to the podium first and when Fox News 8 tried to squeeze us out, we held our ground with our tiny tripods against their mongo daddy cameras. We may be little, but we pack a punch, and we know not to move for anyone.

I'm going to be on the floor for this one, I'll be among the audience taking still photos of participants and doing reaction interviews to the size of the crowd and stuff like that. The rally starts at 3. I'll be there at noon. That is the one bummer about being a member of the media -- you have to be early. It's a whole lot of hurry-up and wait. But it's an incredible high to stand with the media, the only group of people at a rally who aren't clapping, cheering or jeering. We're not allowed to, and we're working, pens scribbling, laptop keys clicking, cameras rolling and shutters blinking. It's exhilarating. And I'm so excited.

I'll report back with the coverage of the rally after tomorrow. Ryan, I'll try my best to get the photo you asked for ... but no guarantees.

To see what we did for the Bill Clinton rally for Hillary in April, check out The Pendulum Web site mini site.

1 comment:

Kaitlin Ugolik said...

wow. that would have pissed me off to no end.

Powered By Blogger