Wednesday, October 22, 2008

civic duty

I voted in my first presidential election today. I filled in my absentee ballot, No. 2 pencil in hand as I ate my Cheerios. I voted for Board of Education, a bunch of constitutional amendments and my representative to Congress should I choose to live in Montgomery County again sometime soon.

I expected it to be a bigger deal, like all of a sudden there would be patriotic music that chimed in when I plopped it into the mailbox, or there would be little flags waiving behind me as I penciled in my bubbles. Not so much. Maybe in my head. But it's still significant, I think, that I did it. I took the time, and the 53 cents to cast my ballot and let my voice be heard.

On my way back from break yesterday, I was sitting in the airport waiting for my flight, and I was eavesdropping on this girl's conversation with the guy next to her. I've owned up to eavesdropping before, people just fascinate me. I can't help it. But she was talking about how disgusted she was by politics and that's why she wasn't voting. She didn't feel any sort of loyalty to either major party candidate, and just didn't care. And then she launched into how she thought her vote wouldn't make a difference anyway, and how she was sick of all the problems in America. Now, let me be honest, I don't deign to claim that I'm so idealistic to believe that my one liberal vote in a county that historically always goes blue makes that great of a splash. But, I do think that it's important to exercise my duty as a citizen in a democratic society.

I could rant and rave at this for a few hours and a multitude of pages. But it frustrates me that part of her argument dealt with how sick of America she was and how tired she was of politics as usual. I understand this. I get a little weary of listening to the candidates sling mud and bad-mouth each other. Studies have proven that this is the quickest way to reduce voter turnout. If this girl is so sick of America and business as usual, then I don't think she has any excuse not to vote. Anyone who says politics doesn't affect them is badly informed. What happens in Washington touches everyone. Apathy itself is a political choice, but no one is truly apathetic.

Personally -- if you don't vote, you don't get to complain. Don't give up your opportunity not only to declare yourself and make a difference, but to give yourself the right to say, hey, I didn't like that guy, but we'll get it next time.

Oh, and here's the other thing: It's free. In an economy this bad, anything free is basically awesome. So why wouldn't you do it?

2 comments:

Kaitlin Ugolik said...

Bethany that video made me so happy, thanks for sharing it! I'm going to share it with everyone too :) Also, I totally agree - it's laughable when people say everything sucks so that's why they're NOT going to vote...hello! It's going to keep sucking then, isn't it!? I've been thinking a lot about living outside of the US more in my future than just these three months, but it's not because I don't care about our country, and even though I'm thousands of miles away right now, I still voted, because I'm still a citizen and I think my opinion as such matters!

Bethany said...

I'm glad you liked it! It's totally backward logic, and people don't recognize that there's a reason the status quo exists -- it's because no one takes the time to challenge or change it. Everyone lauds the freedom of our country, they're happy to use it, but not loyal enough to be responsible for it. I've thought a lot about living outside the U.S. after I graduate. It's something I've considered not because I hate America or I wish I wasn't American, but because I think the rest of the world has an incredibly different perspective to offer.

I'm also very glad you voted. :o)

Powered By Blogger