Thursday, February 8, 2007

who said drama is always a bad thing?

I think it is officially alright to say that this has been a week of drama. But not the bad - I hate my roommates, my boyfriend cheated on me, my parents are suspending my car priviledges and I'm failing chemistry - type drama. But the drama of theaters, actors and stages. Lights, music, props, sets and applause. It's been a week of culture and theater-going.

The last post I made, I said that we were going to try to see Wicked. Well, I realized later that day that Wicked wasn't running that night. So we stayed in instead, and yesterday night we went as a flat to see the show, We Will Rock You. It couldn't be more aptly titled. In short, it rocked. The show is based on the music by Queen, and actually one of the original Queen members appeared at the end of the show to play (we think) during Bohemian Rhapsody. We were all standing, dancing and singing - not just our group - the entire theater. The energy was incredible, the music, fantastically loud and easy to sing along with and the show, a little campy and cheesey, but still marvelously fun all around. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to have a good time seeing a show. The best part of it all was that because we went last minute, we got our tickets for about a 1/3 of the price - we paid 20 pounds for a show where the baseline ticket price is about 30. Not bad. Though, I have to admit, I would probably pay 30 pounds for it.

This morning, it snowed. I would say it was beautiful, but it caused more problems than it's elegance is worth. And I thought DC didn't know how to handle snow - London is rediculous. We were scheduled to visit Greenwich with our class this morning. That was cancelled because the tube was barely running. I emailed my internship asking if I should bother coming in at 1 pm... of course they said everyone was making it in. So I had to trudge my way through the snow a block to the station, then brave the "Severe Delays" on the Bakerloo line. I ended up making it to work in less time than it normally takes me... seriously people.

Tonight was my first operatic experience. Olivia met me at work at 6 and we headed into the London Coliseum for Agrippina. I have to say - very very impressed. I think this was a good first course to the opera feast I'm going to be experiencing over the next few months. It's what is called an 'opera buffa,' basically, it's a comedy. It was actually very funny and witty, we laughed through the whole 4 hours. What I can't figure out is how the singers remember all their lines. Even though the show is in English, it is still surtitled - so they have to get every single line right. And they did. It was amazing. The set was fantastic, the orchestra was really great too. I'm proud to work there.

Anyway, tomorrow starts the weekend. Our friend Ryan is visiting from Dublin where he's doing his semester abroad. So we'll probably take him around during the day and maybe have some fun later tomorrow night.

More soon,
b

3 comments:

Kristina G. said...

Bethany!! This sounds soooooo amazing! Totally speechless....

Unknown said...

Nick is a jerk! Kiss as many British boys as possible! :o)

Bethany said...

eh, he's okay...

Powered By Blogger