Thursday, February 22, 2007

moving right along

It's so easy to get caught up in this city. The days fly by, and pretty soon the week is over. I've taken up a nice routine: Work all day Monday, class and work on Tuesday, class on Wednesday, class and work on Thursday, exploring on Friday.

I'm really impressed how in the chaos of life, you naturally fall into a sort of rhythm. I've been here for about 4 weeks now, and it's beginning to feel like I've been here all along. At my internship I finally found my niche - my supervisor seems to know that I can actually do things other than data entry. And at school we're finally sort of doing work. It's hard to go to school here. We're only in class for a total of about 4 hours a week. I find it hard to concentrate on getting reading done and writing papers. But so far so good.

I love my Art and Architecture class. My professor is crazy - well, maybe crazy is the wrong word. She's eccentric. She seems to know absolutely everything about every painting, altar piece and sculpture we've seen in the National Gallery - where I could literally spend hours if my feet would hold out. After our gallery visit yesterday she took me and a few girls down the block to an art supply store where we spent 45 minutes looking at paint sets, paper, inks and brushes. It sounds totally boring, but if you're an art nerd like me, it was super fun.

We've been filling our time really well here. Like home, there is always something going on. Some sort of festival or new art gallery exhibition to go see. I love the movement of the city. I love the speed and the sudden stops. Olivia talked in her blog about how the city's movement is full of rushing speed and then lulls of silence and calm. I take solace in the 20 minutes of solitude when I ride the Tube to work and school. There's something very meditative about sitting in forced silence in a crowd of people.

I'm taking a day trip to Canterbury with my friend Canden. I haven't been out of the city since we got here. I'm curious as to what the rest of this country looks like.

more soon
b

1 comment:

Wendy Savage said...

Hi Bethany!

I love your blog....and this last one is so up my alley!
I could have spent longer than 45 minutes in an art supply store. I guess I'm an art nerd too ;-).

We all think about you a lot. Its so wonderful that you are doing what you are doing. Please post more photos...and of course, make sure you are in one of them.

take care
love
Wendy

Powered By Blogger