Thursday, February 12, 2009

you are what you carry

With every change in season, I dump out my purse, clean out all the random movie stubs, receipts, gum wrappers and spiral peppermint candies. It's a ritual I've had since I started carrying a purse, really, and I love the memories you uncover when doing it. More than that, I do it to purge any unnecessary weight that I might end up carrying around, because ladies, let's admit it, those things can get damn heavy! And isn't it always the way that you end up carrying other peoples (ahem, boys) baggage?

In my recent dump and ditch, I started thinking about what the things in my bag say about me. What are my "essentials," the things I always have on me? Other than the obvious keys, wallet and cell phone... Infer what you'd like, but here's my list:
  1. Either Carmex or Burt's Bees chapstick -- I picked up my chapstick obsession from one of my best friends. He was never without a stick, and now, neither am I.
  2. Mirror -- to avoid things stuck in the teeth, to hunt down stray, pokey eyelashes, look under cars (you laugh, but it's come in handy...) or in the off-chance I get stranded on a desert island, hail a passing search and rescue plane.
  3. Pen -- I'm a journalist, 'nough said.
  4. Mints -- because I have a constant fear of bad breath.
  5. iPod -- even though I'm not one of those people who is always plugged in, I just like knowing it's there.
  6. Lotion -- usually a travel size one, preferably with a slight fragrance to freshen up and soften my mits.
  7. Camera -- Like I said, I'm a journalist. Also, it's a habit I picked up when I was in London, you never know when there'll be a photo opportunity.
  8. Flash drive -- I started carrying one of these when I was an intern at a newspaper in Graham. I liked knowing that I wouldn't have to email things to myself every night if I wanted to continue working. And, it always has things like my resume stored away in a file, just in case.
That's about it for my bag. I know guys have pocket equivalents for my treasure trove. I had a friend who at the end of the day would take off his pants to sleep, but leaving the stuff in his pockets. It's safe there, he always said. The next morning, would put on different pants but just scoop out all the stuff from his dirty pants' pockets and transfer it all to the fresh pair of pants.

So my question to you, dear readers, what do you haul around?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger