Sunday, November 2, 2008

peaches

I spent the weekend in Atlanta with the freshmen Journalism and Communications Fellows. It was a blast. I made some new friends, and some excellent contacts and had a great time visiting a new city.

From Thursday to Saturday we were a whirlwind of nice clothes, clicky heels, notebooks and questions. I was placed with the strategic communications (PR) and print journalism group. We went to Atlanta Magazine (met the group at CNN briefly, see below), the Weather Channel, Weber Shandwick (the PR firm that holds the accounts for the got milk? campaign and Coca Cola), and Turner Field where the Braves play. I've posted some pictures below.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit the High Museum. It'll just give me another reason to go back to Atlanta.

In other big news -- The Pendulum was just awarded third place in the Pacemaker awards competition by the Associate Collegiate Press for our online election coverage package, and was given Best of Show for our Oct. 29, 2008 issue. This is huge, these awards are considered the Pulitzer Prizes of collegiate journalism. I'm so proud!

OK, on to the photos:
This is the view from my hotel window. We stayed in the Marriot Marquis, it was a beautiful hotel, the interior architecture is fabulous. I had my own room, care of Elon, and enjoyed a king-sized bet to myself.

This is the whole group in front of the CNN sign in Atlanta. Half the group went to the studio, then the rest of us met up with them for a photo-op. (I'm the one in the white shirt and brown pants.)

This is the view of Turner Field from the press box. We were taken on a tour of the press box and video production booth and then onto the field itself.

This is all of us in the dugout. (Green skirt, front row.)

And that's me, in the dugout feeling fully major league

3 comments:

Kaitlin Ugolik said...

bethany will you please spread around my CONGRATULATIONS!? i am so excited for all of you!! way to freaking go!!!!

Bryan said...

The picture of you in the dugout is that perfect all-american girl next door times a thousand look. oh.. and it's damn cute too.

congrats on the pendulum awards. I'm not surprised though given what you guys have done with the paper in the last year. it looks amazing.

Aaaannnd. it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out why the title of the post was 'peaches'.... Georgia...

Bethany said...

Kaitlin, I will definitely let everyone know. We're super excited, it's a pretty big deal. You should be proud also -- your work is up there too. :o)

And Bryan, thanks! Glad you liked the photo... and yeah everything in Atlanta is called Peach something, so I figured it, why not? hehe

Powered By Blogger